What Questions Should I Ask A Personal Injury Lawyer?
Question: What Questions Should I Ask A Personal Injury Lawyer?
When meeting with a personal injury lawyer you should always ask the following basic questions:
- How are you compensated? Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingent-fee agreement basing the fee on one-third of your gross recovery plus repayment of any expenses that the lawyer has advanced.
- Do you advance expenses or will I need to pay them out of pocket? Most personal injury lawyers pay your expenses up front and are repaid from the proceeds they obtain on your behalf although in some cases you may be asked to carry expenses yourself.
- How much experience do you have handling personal injury cases like mine? The more experience a lawyer has handling cases like yours, the better, although experience is no substitute for dedication and integrity.
- What is your timeframe for resolving my case? You should make sure your lawyer has a sense of urgency and is aggressive about achieving a result in your case rather than “sitting on your file.”
- What is your communications policy? You want a lawyer who is interested in responding to your questions and who emphasizes prompt responses to your communications.